Improving Your Home

« Back to Home

How To Detect Mold And Get Rid Of It

Posted on

You may think your home is not at risk of mold damage if it hasn't been in a flood or experienced a plumbing disaster. However, mold can grow given any source of water. This could be from a roof leak, a drippy faucet, or even from high humidity in your house. Mold spores are naturally present everywhere. If your home has the right conditions, the spores will multiply before you even know it and leave you with a mess to clean up. Here are some tips for detecting and dealing with mold.

When To Suspect You Have Mold

Mold has a distinctive odor. If your home smells musty, there is some sort of mold growing somewhere even if you can't see it. You can't always see mold because it might be behind walls, under the carpet, or lurking somewhere else. You'll have to rely on your sense of smell to alert you or call for a mold inspection. You might want to have an inspection done if there was water or a leak in your home for more than a couple of days. Mold begins to grow quickly in wet conditions, so if a couch or carpet was damp for a few days, it's a good bet that there is mold growing inside or underneath.

What To Do About Mold

There are several kinds of mold. Black mold gets the most attention because it is so dangerous. However, all types of mold can bother you if you are allergic to it or if you have respiratory problems. Even if it doesn't give you any medical symptoms, you want to remove mold so it doesn't give your home a bad odor or ruin your belongings.

If the mold is localized, such as under your bathroom sink, you might be able to clean it up yourself if you don't have a respiratory condition. Be sure to wear protective clothing and a face mask to keep spores out of your lungs and off your body. You can use a mold-killing cleaner or just plain diluted bleach to scrub mold off hard surfaces. Removing mold from a couch or carpet might not be possible. If you really want to save the items, you should call for professional advice. Mold often destroys fabrics, so it might be best to get rid of moldy upholstered items to get the odor out of your house. Don't start work on mold cleanup until you've turned off your HVAC unit or you might stir up spores that get sucked into the ducts. Then, you might have to deal with getting mold out of the ducts too.

Call For Professional Mold Remediation

If the mold has spread over a wide area such as a large piece of drywall or the floor of your attic, you'll need to call in professional mold contractors to get the mold out safely. The danger with mold removal is dispersing the spores, which spreads them throughout your house. The contractor may set up a negative pressure system to ensure the mold is pulled outside and out of your home. Mold clean up involves getting rid of the mold with chemicals and removing things that can't be cleaned. The process may also involve deodorizing your home to get rid of the musty odor. Companies like Servpro of Bear New Castle can help you with this.

Mold remediation doesn't remove every single spore in your home. That's impossible. Instead, it removes excess growth and damaged areas. Spores will still float through and if you don't correct the problem with moisture and humidity, the mold will grow right back.


Share